Date of birth: 21 October 1954
Place of birth: Gomel, the USSR
Family: Married. Has a daughter
Education: Graduated from the Moscow State Institute of International Relations in 1976. Holds a Doctor of Law.
Languages: Russian, English and French
Dr. Alexander V.Yakovenko has the diplomatic rank of Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary. He began his diplomatic career in 1976 and has occupied various positions at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, including the Department of International Organizations, the Permanent Mission of the USSR to the United Nations in New York, the Foreign Policy Planning Department, the Department of International Scientific and Technical Cooperation, the Department of Security and Disarmament, the Permanent Mission of the Russian Federation to International Organizations in Vienna, and the Information and Press Department.
He has participated in numerous sessions of the UN Security Council and General Assembly, the UNESCO General Conference, various OSCE forums, negotiations on conventional armed forces in Europe and confidence building measures, the IAEA Board of Governors meetings, the Russian-American Joint Commission on Economic and Technological Cooperation, and the G8 expert meetings. Headed the Russian delegation at the International Space Station negotiations (1993-1998).
- Since 2005 - Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation
- 2000-2005 – Spokesman, Director of the Information and Press Department, MFA
- 1997-2000 - Deputy Permanent Representative of the Russian Federation to International Organizations in Vienna
- 1995-1997 - Deputy Director of the Department of Security and Disarmament, MFA, Russian representative at the International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) Governing Board (Moscow)
- 1993-1995 - Deputy Director of the Department of International Scientific and Technical Cooperation, MFA
- 1976-1993 - various posts at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and abroad
- Member of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences (Moscow)
- Member of the Space Council, Russian Academy of Sciences (Moscow)
- Member of the International Institute of Space Law (IISL, Paris)
- Member of the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA, Paris)
Author of several books and a manual on international law. More than 100 publications on international relations and Russian foreign policy, science, education and cultural issues.